A Star Citizen blog representing the vast silent majority who only wish to make the game better.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Time to Travel

How much time to travel around a system? I keep hearing that it takes about 20 minutes. Well, can't prove that by me, at least not in the Stanton System.

A simple test is in order.

So how long does it take you to fly away from Tessa Bannister to the first ICC mission? It takes about, let's SWAG it out as 5 seconds. Maybe someone will use a stopwatch and get the number more precisely than my Scientific Wild Ass Guess. That's 5 seconds for a 750,000 km one-way trip. See where I'm going here?

Many longer distances in Stanton are about 3 Au'ish. That's 450,000,000 kilometers.

Corvette: Idris.

So based on the time of ICC missions (750,000 per 5 secs) we can conclude that a 3 Au trip would take 3000 seconds. That's 50 minutes! Not 20. And I'm not complaining. I like it that we may never completely explore a system. And I like that exploring the outer reaches can be an intrepid thing.

On the brighter side, there aren't any fighters that can fly from planet to planet, yet. Changing planets for fighters should not be a trivial matter. If our mining ships have the range for getting between planets or to various points in the asteroid belt then we'll be really safe. Probably good for testing things out, debugging, and learning techniques. Yay!

Do I sound happy? We'll have to see if it stands.

I'm a strong proponent of a non-instant gratification game. Space is BIG and should behave accordingly. This is in opposition to the many, simple shooty-shooty voices out there acting like they should be able to shoot anything, anywhere, anytime. The Verse, to me, is logistics and economics applied toward a challenging environment. Diametrically opposed in viewpoint to those preferring FPS.

Civilization is built upon a complex interaction of cooperative forces. That's my Verse. You'd think it would be reflected in the BDSSE.

Anyway, better minds than mine are designing Star Citizen. I'm sure it will be great.


No comments:

Post a Comment