A Star Citizen blog representing the vast silent majority who only wish to make the game better.

Friday, May 12, 2017

A Great Game Needs Great Design

A great game needs great design. Without great design the game becomes stilted and boring; short-lived. In Star Citizen I think the hidden jewel within its construct will be the reputation system.

Again I'm back to the "individual" triadic, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." Or EMEMF for short. This encompasses a great deal more than is immediately obvious. In the forum's Economy and Employment thread it was exquisitely described:

It's a triadic statement so it breaks down into four non-exclusive triangular structures: the friend of my friend is my friend, the friend of my enemy is my enemy, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and the enemy of my friend is my enemy.
In Star Citizen, one would also expect several planes of relationship to which the triadic statement applies: race, authority (UEE, non-aligned), organization, and individual. It would cascade through them, I think. As in, I attack you, it affects your organization, too. ...
... I have read that such models end up with friend groupings which is interesting to me as it could be a natural method of forming organizations.

The observation that, over time, organic groupings of similarly minded individuals would appear. It IS interesting. Perhaps a natural way of establishing player groupings for such things as crew or missions or organizations.



It would be an interesting bit of analytical design to accomplish incorporating EMEMF into the reputation system. It would be great but it wouldn't be the jewel in the crown. The pièce de résistance would be a fifth triadic (in addition to race, authority,organization, and individual): the miscreant (aka ass-hat).

The miscreant triadic would be friend / enemy / ass-hat. Attacking someone or killing someone in this triadic wouldn't alter the friend / enemy differential. But doing a game no-no would alter both the friend and enemy values negatively toward the ass-hat.

In game miscreant no-nos could be killing children, adult civilians, surrended individuals, slaves, etc ... possibly even voice detection of bad language (see how I snuck that one in). I suppose these would have to slowly nullify with time as there is no game mechanic to undo ass-hattery.

Why identify ass-hats in game? Well, it's a way to put some in-game consequences to their actions. Their missions would become less rewarding, they'd get poor prices for goods sold, or pay more for items, technicians would repair their equipment less reliably, etc, etc. Just what ass-hats deserve. And the sublimely sweet bit is that they wouldn't know; they'd only suspect. Perfect behavior modification. (Can you see me smiling? Such a joyful paragraph to write.)

The friend of my enemy is my friend. Such a powerful tool to weave into a game.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment